What’s Pet Alive Parvo-K?
Pet Alive Parvo-K is a new, all-natural homeopathic remedy intended to help relieve the more severe symptoms of Parvo in dogs: vomiting and diarrhea, which can easily lead to dehydration and death. Specially formulated to support the digestive system, Parvo-K works to prevent loose stools by helping sick dogs maintain adequate fluids in their bodies. It also helps them regulate their body temperature, which, in turn, prevents high fever.
Pet Alive Parvo-K comes in an easily dissolvable, granule form that’s meant to be sprinkled onto a dog’s tongue. Since it’s made to taste good for dogs, owners won’t need to worry about their pet spitting it out or having to mix it in with dog food.
What Are the Ingredients?
Pet Alive Parvo-K has five main ingredients, namely, Agrimonia Eupatoria, Arsenicum Album, Atropa Belladonna, Veratrum Album Root, and Ginger.
- Agrimonia Eupatoria, also known as Agrimony, is an herb commonly used in homeopathy. People typically take the parts of it that grow above the ground, dry them, and use them to make medicine. Agrimony can be used to treat a variety of illnesses, but it’s mostly known for its ability to help treat diarrhea, stomach upset, and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Arsenicum Album, also known as White Arsenic, is another popular homeopathic treatment for gastrointestinal issues, such as diarrhea and vomiting.
Note: Arsenic in large amounts can cause poisoning in both humans and animals, so it’s very important to be well-informed and to consult your veterinarian before giving anything that contains Arsenic to your dog.
- Atropa Belladonna, also known as Belladonna or Deadly Nightshade, is used in alternative medicine to aid in the treatment of vomiting, nausea, motion sickness, stomach cramps, irritable bowel syndrome, and gastrointestinal spasms. However, using products containing Belladonna can be dangerous without the guidance of a medical professional and should not be used in place of a medication prescribed by a veterinarian.
- Veratrum Album Root is a plant from the lily family. It is a homeopathic remedy often used to treat violent diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, chills, and weakness.
- Ginger is a popular root crop known for its ability to relieve stomach upsets. It is in the same family as turmeric and has been used in holistic treatments for years as a digestive aid for nausea, vomiting, and bloating. Generally, it is known to be safe for pets to ingest.
What’s the Dosage?
Like any other medication, the dosage depends on the size and weight of the dog. Given that some of the ingredients used to make Pet Alive Parvo-K may cause poisoning, proper dosage and professional guidance are crucial.
For dogs weighing 20 lbs and below, the recommended dose is one pinch or about 1/6 to 1/8 of a teaspoon. For those that weigh between 20 lbs and 50 lbs, the recommended dose is two pinches. Lastly, for those that weigh more than 50 lbs, the recommended dose is three pinches.
In terms of the frequency of administration, it depends on what you’re using the treatment for. If you’re using it as a preventative measure, it is advised that you give it to your dog three times a day. On the other hand, if you’re using it to treat Parvo, then it should be given five times a day for 10 to 15 days.
According to DailyMed, Pet Alive Parvo-K is yet to be approved for use by the FDA. Although it does sound like a promising homeopathic remedy for Parvo, we believe it is best to wait before the product has undergone documented trials that prove not only its efficacy but also its safety.
However, if you’re interested in using Pet Alive Parvo-K before then, you can always talk to your veterinarian and ask for their professional opinion. Never make alterations to your dog’s treatment plan or use homeopathic remedies on your dog without asking your veterinarian first.